The Whitewater Historical Society is the organization that collects, preserves and interprets the history of Whitewater and surrounding towns. Our mission includes the preservation of the Whitewater Passenger Depot, built in 1890-91 and the Stone Stable, built c. 1845 and restored next to the depot in 2007. The Society operates a local history museum in the historic depot building and also holds five general interest meetings a year; in January, March, May, September, and November. These meetings feature programs and/or speakers on topics of local and general history. The Board of Directors of the society meets monthly to discuss museum and society business. In May, the general interest meeting is also an Annual Meeting where the membership votes on officers and important society business.
The Whitewater Historical Society was officially founded in 1947 as a community-wide organization to help preserve the history of Whitewater. Before the acquisition of the depot building, the society met in the basement of the old White Library (Arts Alliance Building) where it also began collecting local artifacts. The society moved to the basement of the old City Hall on Whitewater Street and used that location until it was demolished in the late 1960s.
In 1973, the City of Whitewater purchased the Whitewater Passenger Depot building and granted the society a 99-year lease of the building. After minor renovations, the new Whitewater Historical Society Depot Museum opened in July of 1974. In 2012, the depot building underwent extensive restoration funded by a federal Transportation Enhancement Grant supported in part by the City of Whitewater and a Society-led community fund-raising campaign.